Basic Python Questions - Oct. 31, 2013

Alain Ketterlin alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Oct 31 09:17:48 EDT 2013

"E.D.G." <edgrsprj at ix.netcom.com> writes:

>       The calculation speed question just involves relatively simple
> math such as multiplications and divisions and trig calculations such
> as sin and tan etc.

These are not "simple" computations.

Any compiled language (Fortran, C, C++, typically) will probably go much
faster than any interpreted/bytecode-based language (like python or
perl, anything that does not use a jit).

I have never seen any serious use of python for numerical computations
without use of numpy/scipy, which is basically a python wrapper around
compiled libraries. You probably should consider such a combination.

> Presently I am using Perl to do those types of calculations. And I am
> starting to run into problems with how long it takes Perl to do
> thousands and even millions of calculations like that even though they
> are relatively simple.

No surprise.

> [...] It sends Windows programs or files information in the following
> manner:
>
> Win32::GuiTest::SendKeys("...");

I have no idea on what this could be useful for, but it took me a few
seconds to type "python sendkeys" and get some interesting results.

-- Alain.