Will Python 3.x ever become the actual standard?

Colin J. Williams cjw at ncf.ca
Thu Oct 24 20:03:56 EDT 2013

On 23/10/2013 9:13 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 23/10/2013 14:05, Colin J. Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> The changes aren't large enough to worry a Python programmer so
>>> effectively there's nothing to learn, other than how to run 2to3.

>>> Could have fooled me.  The number is growing all the time.  The biggest
>>> problem is likely (IMHO) to be the sheer size of the code base and
>>> limitations on manpower.

>>> I agree with this technical aspect, other than the disastrous flexible
>>> string representation, which has been repeatedly shot to pieces by, er,
>>> one idiot :)  As for adaption we'll get there so please don't do a
>>> Captain Mainwearing[1] and panic.  People should also be pursuaded by
>>> watching this from Brett Cannon
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebyz66jPyJg
>>>
>>> Just my 2 pence worth.
>>>
>>> [1] From the extremely popular BBC TV series "Dad's Army" of the late
>>> 60s and 70s.
>>>
>> It would be good if more of the packages were available, for Python 3.3,
>> in binary for the Windows user.
>>
>> I am currently wrestling with Pandas, lxml etc.
>
> Can I assume you're aware of the industrious Christopher Gohlke?
>
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
>
> TJG

Tim,

Many thanks.  I have installed lxml.  help(lxml) looks good.

I'll keep this link for future use.

It would be good if, after some verification process for each package,
it could be included in  PyPi.

Colin W.

PS  A problem in building lxml from source is that the build expects
?Cygwin? and I have Mingw32 installed.