Python Front-end to GCC

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Oct 25 15:06:27 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-25, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is this some kind of joke?  What has this list become?
>>
>> It's a useful debugging technique to initialize memory to distinctive
>> values that should never occur in real data.
>
> If you're doing this, you're doing something wrong.

Pardon me if I don't take your word for it.

> Please give me the hex value for NaN so I can initialize with my
> array.

Seriously?  You haven't discovered google and wikepedia yet?

   http://www.google.com/
   http://en.wikipedia.org/

Assuming you're using IEEE-754, all 1's is a quiet NaN:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaN

If you want a signaling NaN you've got to change one of the bits (see
the above links).

IIRC, the Pascal language required that using unintialized variables
caused an error. intializing FP values to a signalling NaN is a very
convenient way to do that.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm also against
                                  at               BODY-SURFING!!