Receiving 'NAMEERROR:name' when I try and execute my code in DEBUG mode

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Fri Oct 18 12:08:26 EDT 2013

In <311c58bc-a826-468f-8c37-cb53600d4383 at googlegroups.com> telconstar99 at gmail.com writes:

> Hello,

> I'm writing a testing framework in Jython. My code executes successfully
> when I RUN my project, however, when I DEBUG my project I receive the
> following error

> SOURCE:NAMEERROR:name 'Load_Configurations' is not defined["NameError:
> name 'Load_Configurations' is not defined

> I'm new to python. I am using execfile because I want to dynamically
> include files at runtime. I would appreciate assistance in resolving this
> error so that I can use a debugger on my project. I'm using Netbeans if
> that matters. Below I've pasted the code in my runner.py file (the file
> that gets executed):

> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     #Required Imports
>     import os
>     import sys

>     root = os.path.dirname((os.getcwd()))

>     #Load all my files by walking through my source code
>     i=1
>     for r,d,f in os.walk(root + "\\src"):
>         for files in f:
>             if (files.endswith(".py") and files!="runner.py" and files!="setup.py" and files!="new_test.py"):
>                 execfile(os.path.join(r,files))
>             if i==len(f):
>                 i=1
>                 break
>             i=i+1

>     #Load Configuration
>     RunnerSettings.load_config = Load_Configurations(root + '\\configuration.xml')

I don't know anything about Jython or Netbeans specifically, but looking at
your code I see that Load_Configurations is, indeed, not defined anywhere.
It's not imported nor does the code ever create an object with that name,
so I'm not surprised that you get that error.

This entire block of code is conditionally executed upon __name__ being
equal to "main"; perhaps that condition is false when the code is run and
thus the error is never triggered.

--
John Gordon         Imagine what it must be like for a real medical doctor to
gordon at panix.com    watch 'House', or a real serial killer to watch 'Dexter'.