Offense versus harrassment (was: Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 17 07:24:17 EDT 2013

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:44:01 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

[...]
> Nazis, while they were an awful oppressive influence in society in the
> first half of the 20th century, are not an influence now in the 3rd
> millennium.

Tell that to Golden Dawn. And the Russian Parliament.

Just because few people in polite society admit to Nazi-esque leanings
doesn't mean the meme has disappeared. Alas, it appears to be well on the
rise again.

> Making a self-reference to “nazi” does not seriously shelter
> anyone's bad behaviour, since so much time has passed since Nazis
> significantly harrassed anyone.

What, a week?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cair-calif-muslims-condemn-neo-
nazi-harassment-of-jewish-worshipers-63779577.html

> Upskirt photos *are* an antisocial phenomenon now in the 3rd millennium,
> contributing significantly to a culture that demeans and harrasses
> women.

Well, that's an opinion, and one I'm not going to debate, since who the
hell wants to defend something as squick-making as upskirt photos?

But then, we really ought to be wary of making decisions based solely, or
primarily, on the squick-factor. That's the primary basis for harassment
and discrimination against male homosexuals. Visceral reactions are not
to be trusted, *especially* when it comes to anything related to sex and
sexuality.

--
Steven