Don't use default Google Group client (was re:....)

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 20:19:14 EDT 2013

On 26/10/2013 00:44, rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 02:05 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 10/25/2013 2:57 PM, Peter Cacioppi wrote:
>>> The default
>>> Google Group client is notoriously cruddy with quotes attribution.
>>
>> So don't use it. Get any decent newsreader, such as Thunderbird, and
>> access the list at news.gmane.org as gmane.comp.python.general.
>
> Peter, you can ignore Terry's "advice" if Google Groups works for you.
> There are a small number of Google haters here who seem larger due to
> their obnoxious noisiness.
>
> I've been using Google Groups to post here for many years and with a
> little care it is usable without annoying anyone except a few drooling
> fanatics.  All access methods have pros and cons (and I've posted here
> about many of TB numerous cons) so if the usability tradeoff favors
> GG for you (or anyone else) I recommend you not be intimidated by
> the anti-GG goon squad.

Thunderbird cons - I've never known any. Google groups cons - continual
streams of messages on a daily basis that are double spaced despite
umpteen requests to follow instructions so the crap doesn't get
repeated.  Just how difficult is it?  Are you prepared to pay for my new
glasses, as the eye strain caused by google crap really does get to me.
  Goon squad indeed!!!

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence