parsing email from stdin

Andreas Perstinger andipersti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 13:11:59 EDT 2013

On 08.10.2013 17:25, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 08-10-13 16:24, Andreas Perstinger schreef:
>> Looking at the docs, I've found there is also "message_from_binary_file"
>> which works for me with your code.
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/3/library/email.parser.html#email.message_from_binary_file
>>

> I can't try that out right now, but I had a look at the code and the
> ByteParser that is mentioned their looks like this:
>
> class BytesFeedParser(FeedParser):
>       """Like FeedParser, but feed accepts bytes."""
>
>       def feed(self, data):
>           super().feed(data.decode('ascii', 'surrogateescape'))
>

> Somehow I doubt that trying to decode my utf-8 stream as if it was
> ascii will work.

Actually it does work:

$ cat testmail.txt
From: "someone" <someone at example.com>
To: "me" <me at example.com>
Subject: something

foo bar AÄÖÜĎӅ baz

$ file testmail.txt
testmail.txt: news or mail, UTF-8 Unicode text

$ cat foo.py
#!/usr/bin/python3

import sys
from email import message_from_binary_file

sys.stdin = sys.stdin.detach()
msg = message_from_binary_file(sys.stdin)

print("from: ", msg['From'])
print("to: ", msg['To'])
print("subject: ", msg['Subject'])
print("body: ", msg.get_payload())