parsing email from stdin

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Oct 8 11:25:40 EDT 2013

Op 08-10-13 16:24, Andreas Perstinger schreef:
> On 08.10.2013 14:20, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> As I don't know what encoding these messages will be in, I thought it
>> would be prudent to read stdin as binary data.
>>
>> Using python 3.3 on a debian box I have the following code.
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/python3
>>
>> import sys
>> from email import message_from_file
>>
>> sys.stdin = sys.stdin.detach()
>> msg = message_from_file(sys.stdin)
>
> Looking at the docs, I've found there is also "message_from_binary_file"
> which works for me with your code.
>
> http://docs.python.org/3/library/email.parser.html#email.message_from_binary_file

I can't try that out right now, but I had a look at the code and the
ByteParser that is mentioned their looks like this:

class BytesFeedParser(FeedParser):
     """Like FeedParser, but feed accepts bytes."""

     def feed(self, data):
         super().feed(data.decode('ascii', 'surrogateescape'))

Somehow I doubt that trying to decode my utf-8 stream as if it was
ascii will work.

--
Antoon Pardon