Cookie gets changed when hit comes from a referrer

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Thu Oct 10 04:50:25 EDT 2013

Op 10-10-13 03:10, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:31:06 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:
>>
>> If Nikos can't even figure out the right queries to feed into a search
>> engine to get started on such matters as looking at the cookie jar in a
>> browser or enabling cookie logging on a server, then he probably
>> shouldn't be trying to code at this level.
>
> Nikos Nikos Nikos... and what about me? If I asked you for a few pointers
> about a good place to learn about running a web site, would you tell me
> to fuck off too? I wonder what you are doing here, if you are so
> unwilling to share your hard-earned knowledge with others as you seem in
> this post. This attitude is not the Denis McMahon I'm used to.

A year ago no. Now yes! Because you are behaving like an enabler. Nikos
is the prime cause of the disruptions here and you are asking we should
treat him as if he is a well behaving regular that comes with the
occasional off topic question.

You seem unable or unwilling to draw a line in how far we should go in
enduring Nikos's anti-social behaviour. You seem unable to grasp that
how we treat people depends on their behaviour in the past.

> Honestly, your response seems to me to be just a more verbose way of
> saying "RTFM n00b", and about as helpful. Speaking for myself, I don't
> want this forum to be the sort of place where that is considered an
> appropriate response, no matter how politely the dismissal is dressed up.

But you are cooperating very hard in producing just that. By ignoring
the reasons people react harshly to Nikos and pretending such a
reaction is a reflection on how they would treat newbies in general you
are being extremely unfair.

> I'm here to help people, and yes, that even means Nikos. To give back to
> the community that helped me (and continues to help me). In my opinion,
> if we're going to tell people to RTFM the least we can do is point them
> at the right manual, and not just dismiss them by telling them to google
> it. I don't think that's too much to ask.

And how far are you willing to go with this help? Right now you are
helping Nikos in his anti-social behaviour. Is that your idea of giving
back to the community? Annoying a significant part of it in your quest
to help people?

> (On the other hand, it's okay to say "I don't know of any good forums for
> learning this stuff. Sorry mate, I can't help.")
>
> I have no objection to encouraging people to read the fine manual, and I
> don't intend to be Nikos' (or anyone else's) unpaid full-time help desk
> and troubleshooter. But I do think it is simply unfair to treat him more
> harshly than we would others in the same position. If *anyone else* asked
> for help on these sorts of network and browser questions, we'd give them
> more constructive pointers than just "google it".

We don't. The history peope have on this forum is part of the position
they are in. If someone has abused the hospitality of an environment,
then there is nothing wrong if that environment starts reacting hostile.
That is the *situation* Nikos is in now. So stop pretending any regular
asking an occasional off topic question would be the same situation.

--
Antoon Pardon