Cookie gets changed when hit comes from a referrer

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 9 21:10:19 EDT 2013

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:31:06 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:48:12 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 18:06:05 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:
>>
>>> Find the relevant forums and ask in them.
>>
>> In fairness to Nikos, that may not be an easy thing to do. I for one
>> have *no idea* where to find an appropriate forum to learn about these
>> sorts of web basics. comp.protocol.http doesn't exist :-)
>
> If Nikos wants to write programs that communicate using internet
> protocols, Nikos really needs to learn where internet protocols are
> defined, how to read and interpret those protocol definitions, and how
> to check that the data he's sending or receiving is the data that he
> thinks he's sending or receiving.

You can't seriously mean that everyone who runs a website has to become
skilled at reading and interpreting the RFCs for "internet protocols".
Which protocols? All the way down to TCP/IP?

> Just as, if Nikos wants to generate web pages using HTML markup, Nikos
> needs to learn where HTML markup is defined.
>
> There's no easy path to this knowledge. For some of us, it's been a 30
> or more year journey so far and we're still learning (I'm into year 36,
> having started at the age of 14 and turning 51 in seven weeks).
>
> If Nikos can't even figure out the right queries to feed into a search
> engine to get started on such matters as looking at the cookie jar in a
> browser or enabling cookie logging on a server, then he probably
> shouldn't be trying to code at this level.

Nikos Nikos Nikos... and what about me? If I asked you for a few pointers
about a good place to learn about running a web site, would you tell me
to fuck off too? I wonder what you are doing here, if you are so
unwilling to share your hard-earned knowledge with others as you seem in
this post. This attitude is not the Denis McMahon I'm used to.

Honestly, your response seems to me to be just a more verbose way of
saying "RTFM n00b", and about as helpful. Speaking for myself, I don't
want this forum to be the sort of place where that is considered an
appropriate response, no matter how politely the dismissal is dressed up.

I'm here to help people, and yes, that even means Nikos. To give back to
the community that helped me (and continues to help me). In my opinion,
if we're going to tell people to RTFM the least we can do is point them
at the right manual, and not just dismiss them by telling them to google
it. I don't think that's too much to ask.

(On the other hand, it's okay to say "I don't know of any good forums for
learning this stuff. Sorry mate, I can't help.")

I have no objection to encouraging people to read the fine manual, and I
don't intend to be Nikos' (or anyone else's) unpaid full-time help desk
and troubleshooter. But I do think it is simply unfair to treat him more
harshly than we would others in the same position. If *anyone else* asked
for help on these sorts of network and browser questions, we'd give them
more constructive pointers than just "google it".

Nikos, are you reading this? This is what happens when you behave like a
royal pain in the arse and annoy people. They stop wanting to help you.
Be told. Learn from this. Don't repeat this mistake in the next forum. If
you learn nothing else, learn that lesson.

--
Steven