Cookie gets changed when hit comes from a referrer

Νίκος Αλεξόπουλος nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 12:04:37 EDT 2013

Στις 8/10/2013 6:55 μμ, ο/η Denis McMahon έγραψε:
> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:04:34 +0300, Νίκος Αλεξόπουλος wrote:
>
>> I use this code to retrive or set a cookie to the visitor's browser if
>> present and identify him bu it.
>
> You are aware that using cookies to track a user who doesn't want to be
> tracked won't work, because he'll just tell his browser to not use
> cookies, aren't you.
>
> Nick, if a user doesn't want to be tracked, you can't track them. The
> user controls all the data their machine sends to you. This means that
> they can manipulate it. Nothing you can do will prevent this.

Yes iam aware of that, but its the best trcking method i can think of.
Tracking just the hostname is not accurate since with every router
restart, that info is changing.

Tracking the visitor by settign a cookie to its browser is not
perfect/accurate since he can manipulate its broswer data or flush the
cookies but this is the best one can do after having people register on
the webiste.

Or perhaps trying to identify the cookie + hostname is even better.

Can you help me with this particuler problem please?

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined! & WebHost
<http://superhost.gr>