Mutual respect, bullying, tolerance (was: JUST GOT HACKED)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Oct 2 03:42:32 EDT 2013

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> Well that's a shame, and I think that your comment here is
> incompatible with your previous approval of the PSF Diversity
> Statement.

We should tolerate people, but we should not tolerate their bad
behaviour.

The Diversity Statement includes the principle of mutual respect, which
I heartily endorse.

I think the behaviour exhibited for months by the originator of this
thread is very unrespectful of this whole community, and that those who
bait and belittle this person are also disrespectful.

Neither bad behaviour excuses the other, and I find both those
behaviours to be against the principles in the PSF Diversity Statement.

> Ben, are you doing all you can to live up to the PSF ideals? Are you
> encouraging Nikos to be a good member of this community, or just
> standing idly by while others bully him?

I have several times responded with unequivocal public condemnation to
those who called for violence to be done against him.

No mere utterance of words can justify a call for violence in response,
and I want no-one to suffer that in this forum regardless how much of a
nuisance they have become.

> And I've called Nikos out on his retaliation too. He doesn't get a
> free pass from me.

I have long since consigned him to a kill-file: his unrepentantly
off-topic demands are far too voluminous for me to keep up with.

--
 \                             “Holy tintinnabulation, Batman!” —Robin |
Ben Finney