JUST GOT HACKED

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 2 03:29:54 EDT 2013

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:49:22 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> writes:
>
>> Op 02-10-13 00:06, Ben Finney schreef:
>> > This is an unmoderated forum, so we have occasional spates of
>> > persistent nuisances, and those who respond with the maturity level
>> > and impulse control of an average six-year-old.
> […]
>>
>> And what about the impuls control and the maturity of people who can't
>> stop answering [a nuisance], knowing they contribute to the nuisance to
>> the group?
>
> Yes, we are in firm agreement here.

Well that's a shame, and I think that your comment here is incompatible
with your previous approval of the PSF Diversity Statement.

    The Python Software Foundation and the global Python community
    welcome and encourage participation by everyone. Our community is
    based on mutual respect, tolerance, and encouragement, and we are
    working to help each other live up to these principles. We want our
    community to be more diverse: whoever you are, and whatever your
    background, we welcome you.

This doesn't say anything about bullying, mocking and belittling those we
don't like. It says, *encourage* participation by *everyone*, and that
includes annoyances like Nikos. Like it or not, he is part of the
community of Python users too.

I admit to serious reservations about the Diversity Statement and the
Code of Conduct, but I think I am living up to their ideals. In my
imperfect way, I am trying to encourage Nikos towards better behaviour by
rewarding him for good behaviour (answer his sensible questions,
encourage him to learn on his own) and discourage his bad behaviour. I
don't mock him or belittle him, and I don't celebrate when he screws up.

And if I slip up and do any of these things, then I would deserve to be
called out on it.

Ben, are you doing all you can to live up to the PSF ideals? Are you
encouraging Nikos to be a good member of this community, or just standing
idly by while others bully him?

I can tell you this: if the PSF Code of Conduct applied here, Nikos would
be a *distant* third on my list of people to be banned. He might be needy
and annoying, but he is not abusive and hostile except when defending
himself from the abuse and hostility of others.

And I've called Nikos out on his retaliation too. He doesn't get a free
pass from me.

--
Steven