JUST GOT HACKED

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Oct 4 09:48:25 EDT 2013

Op 03-10-13 13:30, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 09:01:29 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> You don't
>> follow the principle of treating others in the way you hope to be
>> treated if you were in their shoes.
> [...]
>> Suppose you develop a new
>> interest in which you are now the newbie and you go to a newsgroup or
>> forum where as a nebie you ask a poor question. Are you hoping they will
>> answer with sarcasm? I doubt that very much.
>
> Then you would be wrong. You don't know me very well at all.
>
> If I asked a dumb question -- not an ignorant question, but a dumb
> question -- then I hope somebody will rub my nose in it. Sarcasm strikes
> me as a good balance between being too namby-pamby to correct me for
> wasting everyone's time, and being abusive.

You are contradicting yourself with previous contributions. If you
yourself want to be treated with sarcasm when you ask a poor question
and you follow the priciple of trying to treat people the same way as
you like to be treated should you be in their shoes. Then it doesn't
make sense that you should judge yourself as not living up to your
ideals because of having a tendency to react to newbies' poor questions
with sarcasm, as you did earlier. That tendency would then make you
live up to your ideals.

I have the impression you haven't thought this through much and are just
making it up as you go along.

> And quite frankly, although I might *prefer* a gentle request asking for
> more information, I might *need* something harsher for the lesson to
> really sink in. Negative reinforcement is a legitimate teaching tool,
> provided it doesn't cross the line into abuse.

But need was orginally not a consideration. You certainly never seem to
consider Nikos might need something harsher than a polite answer,
labeling almost any criticism almost automaticcaly as hate.

--
Antoon Pardon