Cracking hashes with Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 05:39:25 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM, TheRandomPast <wishingforsam at gmail.com> wrote:
> and I've started the second part, the part to crack them. If anyone could tell me where I'd find more information on this subject and how to crack them that would be great. As I print them on screen I was thinking I could write a program that allows the md5 to be entered and then cracked.

Okay. This is where the irreversible nature of hash functions comes
into play. You can't actually take the hash and go back to the
password; what you have to do is try lots of passwords and find one
that has the right hash.

Python has a data structure that lets you store keys and values, and
then see whether the key you're looking for is there. See if you can
use that.

ChrisA