Cracking hashes with Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Nov 25 21:55:58 EST 2013

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:32:41 -0800, TheRandomPast wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a school project to do where I've to download MD5 Hashes from a
> particular website and write a code that will crack them.

A school project. Right. Heh. :-)

And which website's hashes would this be?

> Does anyone
> know where I'll find out more information on how to do this? There's
> only 4 hashes that I need to do so it doesn't have to be a large script
> just needs to be able to download the hashes from the website. Can
> anyone help me out?

The size of the script has nothing to do with the number of hashes you
have to crack. Whether it is one hash and one million, the script will be
exactly the same.

Do you have to write a program to download the hashes, or can you just
browse to the web address with your browser and save them?

If you have to write your own program, start here:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=python+how+to+download+data+from+the+web

--
Steven