Parallel Python x.y.A and x.y.B installations on a single Windows machine

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 09:15:35 EST 2013

On Mon, 11/25/13, Jurko Gospodnetić <jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Parallel Python x.y.A and x.y.B installations on a single Windows machine
 To: python-list at python.org
 Date: Monday, November 25, 2013, 2:57 PM

   Hi.

 On 25.11.2013. 14:20, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:
 > Check out the following packages: virtualenv,
 virtualenvwrapper, tox
 > virtualenv + wrapper make it very easy to switch from
 one python
 > version to another. Stricly speaking you don't need
 > virtualenvwrapper, but it makes working with virtualenv
 a whole lot
 > easier.Tox also uses virtualenv. You can configure it
 to sdist your
 > package under different python versions. Also, you can
 make it run
 > nosetests for each python version and/or implementation
 (pypy and
 > jython are supported)

   I'll look into using virtualenv and possibly tox once
 I get into issues with mismatched installed Python package
 versions, but for now I'm dealing with installing different
 Python interpreter versions and, unless I'm overlooking
 something here, virtualenv does not help with that. :-(

 ====> Are you sure? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1534210/use-different-python-version-with-virtualenv

Below is a little terminal session.  I often switch between python 3.3 and python 2.7. My virtualenv for python 3.3 is called "python33". "workon" is a virtualenv wrapper command. And check out the envlist in tox.ini on http://tox.readthedocs.org/en/latest/example/basic.html

antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ workon python3.3
ERROR: Environment 'python3.3' does not exist. Create it with 'mkvirtualenv python3.3'.
antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ workon python33
(python33)antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ python
Python 3.3.2 (default, Sep  1 2013, 22:59:57)
[GCC 4.7.2] on linux
>>> quit()
(python33)antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ deactivate
antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Sep 26 2013, 16:38:10)
[GCC 4.7.2] on linux2
>>> quit()