Parallel Python x.y.A and x.y.B installations on a single Windows machine

Jurko Gospodnetić jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr
Mon Nov 25 11:58:16 EST 2013

   Hi.

On 25.11.2013. 17:38, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>    So far all tests seem to indicate that things work out fine if we
>> install to some dummy target folder, copy the target folder to some
>> version specific location & uninstall.
>
> If the dummy folder had 3.3.0, you should not need to uninstall to
> install 3.3.1 on top of it. But it is easy and probably safest.

   Without the uninstall step you get stuck with invalid registry and
start menu items refering to an invalid path until you install another
matching major.minor.X version.

> Just a reminder: you can run one file or set of files with multiple
> Pythons by putting 'project.pth' containing the same 'path-to-project'
> in the Lib/site-packages of each Python directory. I do this to test one
> file with 2.7 and 3.3 (and just added 3.4) without copying the file.

   Thanks for the tip. That might come in useful. At the moment I just
run the pytest framework using different python interpreters, without
having to install the package at all (possibly first running 'setup.py
build' to get the sources converted to Python 3 format).

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić