Completely and utterly Off Topic [was Re: Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !]

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 27 01:48:11 EST 2013

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:26:48 -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:

> Even if you are correct that the OP is using a regional variation of
> English, you fail to realize that this "regional redefinition" of the
> English word: "doubts" to mean what the *majority* of  English speaking
> world understands as "questions", cannot be justified OUTSIDE of his
> region.

"Fail to realize"? What regional redefinition of "realise" is that? How
do you justify using that regional variation outside of your region?

> It's not like he's using a NEW word; a word that has never been defined,
> NO, his region has redefined a widely understood word.
[...]
> In the previous examples we show that introducing a NEW word is fine,
> because, at least when we encounter a NEW word we will *instantly* know
> that we need to find a definition for the NEW word BEFORE we can *fully*
> comprehend what the author is trying to tell us.

I completely sniglim with what you are saying. I'd go further and state
that, without exception, your argument is the most vumtigious I've ever
seen, and if there were any justice in the world, people would follow you
down the street shouting "Gedus! Gedus!" and giving you a keddener. If
anyone deserves it, it is you.

[...]
> When we see the word "doubts", followed by an enumerated listing, we
> falsely believe the lad

"The lad"? Well, I suppose that's a step up from calling men twice your
age "boy", but not much.

> is confused or has some level of concern.

Whereas when somebody says they have a question, we immediately assume
that they are not confused, and have no concern at all.

[...]
> Now... *hopefully* we can understand why the words "question" and
> "doubt" should NEVER be used interchangeably.

Now Rick, I know that you're a speaker of a regional variation of
English, so you might not be familiar with the standard meanings of the
word "doubt" in English, including:

    3.  A point about which one is uncertain or skeptical: reassured
        me by answering my doubts.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/doubt

It is without doubt that "question" and "doubt" are synonyms, or perhaps
I should say that it is without question that "doubt" and "question" are
synonyms.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/doubt

Of course, if you have any doubts about this, feel free to ask, we're
happy to answer all reasonable questions.

[...]
>  "A new home-run record!"

What is this "home-run" of which you speak? Houses don't generally run.
Surely you're not using a regional idiom outside of your region?

--
Steven