Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Nov 27 05:32:06 EST 2013

On 11/26/13 11:24 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:11:54 PM UTC-6, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>
>> Rick, through all the verbiage, I've lost track of what you are
>> advocating.  The OP asks a question and uses the word doubt in a way
>> that is unusual to you and many other, though not unusual where he is
>> from.  What is it you want us to do?
>> Why not just relax and answer his question and leave it at that?
>
> Hello again Ned. I now understand why you're confused.
> Please allow me to explain.
 >
 > (16 paragraphs snipped)

Rick, I am confused because you have taken a direct question, "what is
it you want us to do", and haven't actually answered it.  You've spoken
strongly, you've made elaborate but baffling analogies to squirrels,
you've given us pop quizzes, you've created mock dialogs with others,
etc.  Where is the answer to the question?  Speak directly and plainly,
and maybe I will understand.

The OP asked a question using the word "codes" for "program".  (This was
actually the word that got us started, not "doubt", I had to look back
to realize.)  A number of people tried to answer the question.  Denis
made a joke, which often happens on the list, based on the multiple
meanings of "codes".  Stephen said we should make allowances for slight
difference in dialect.

What parts here are you objecting to?

I don't know what course of action you are advocating.  Can you explain,
briefly, without resorting to analogies, quizzes, or philosophers?  What
do you want people in this forum to do?

It could be that you are fine with the way things are going in this
forum, and are only objecting to a fine point of Steven's plea.  If so,
then maybe we could just drop it as off-topic.

--Ned.