Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 23:24:16 EST 2013

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:11:54 PM UTC-6, Ned Batchelder wrote:

> Rick, through all the verbiage, I've lost track of what you are
> advocating.  The OP asks a question and uses the word doubt in a way
> that is unusual to you and many other, though not unusual where he is
> from.  What is it you want us to do?
> Why not just relax and answer his question and leave it at that?

Hello again Ned. I now understand why you're confused.
Please allow me to explain.

First of all, none of my responses have been directed at
the OP.

Although i would strongly prefer for him to choose
ubiquitous definitions *over* regional definitions when
posting to internet forums, i would have happily ignored
this thread had it not been for Stevens emotional plea of:

    "As this is an international forum, it behoves [sic]
    us all to make allowances for slight difference in
    dialect."

I take *strong* exception with such "emotional reasoning".

 "Why Rick, because you don't care about people's feelings?"

No, because, believe it or not, i don't enjoy hurting anyone's
feelings, however, i will *NEVER* hesitate to sacrifice
"warm fuzzy" feelings at the alters of logic, reason, or
consistency.

Emotion is a gift from the gods, but it can also be a curse!
We cannot allow ourselves to be driven by pure emotion.
Emotion must *always* take a backseat to reason.

 Pop Quiz
Your driving your car down the road when out of nowhere a
cute little squirrel[1] runs into the road, stops in your
lane, stands on his hind legs, and looks at you nervously...
You know you don't have much time to act, but you realize
you have only two choices:

    1. You could attempt to avoid the squirrel by making
    hasty maneuvers and in the process risk your life or
    even the lives of innocent motorist/by-standards, or

    2. quickly realizing that the forward momentum of
    your large vehicle will not be noticeably affected
    by the deflection of a small forest dwelling
    creature (thanks Newton!), you could simply maintain
    a steady course and accept that the squirrel's life,
    or death, is in *his* hand -- or at minimum, a matter
    of fate.

Now, anyone who would choose "choice 1" is operating
*purely* on emotion and is in fact a danger to themselves
and society. Sure, caring about fellow living organisms is a
noble cause, but the killing of innocents and destruction
of property is NO justification for saving one single
squirrel.

Even though "choice 2" seems to be a heartless choice, it is
not. The logical man realizes that one way or another the
result of either choice was doomed to a *strong* possibility
of destruction, and as such, he correctly choose to follow
the path of *least* destruction.

THE POINT IS:
There are many events in reality that are beyond our
control, but there is one thing that we can *ALWAYS*
control, and that thing is our rationality; our logic; our
*REASON*. And as such, we must *never* invent rules that
*forsake* any of these basic mental survival *necessities*.

I know, i know. You can't *feel* reason in the physical
manner that you can *feel* emotion. Yes, yes. Emotion is a
*visceral* experience -- i get it! But "emotion" is the
hasty tool of those who *lack* strong reasoning skills!

But don't be sad if your reasoning skills are not fine
tuned, NO. If you find yourself too often grasping for that
"infantile faculty" of reasoning that we call "emotion",
that's just a clue that you need to spend more time
practicing.

  "Carnegie hall and, well, all that jazz"

> And will you be here to explain to time-travelling
> Shakespeare why we are all of us speaking English
> completely wrong (to his ears)?

I have a sneaking suspicion that Shakespeare was probably a
very intelligent man, and even IF he was strongly bonded to
his emotional being, i would wager that he could be taught
to "google", and in a very short time, be a 21st century man
watching free porn all day. If not, well, then he could
always move to LA and become a screenwriter -- lord knows
they could use some help!

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel