Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Nov 26 21:11:54 EST 2013

On 11/26/13 8:26 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:52:11 AM UTC-6, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM, Roy Smith [...] wrote:
>>> We live in an international world (otherwise we wouldn't
>>> need that annoying unicode stuff).  When you say,
>>> "effort to be understandable", what you're really saying
>>> is, "everybody should be just like me". Unfortunately,
>>> that's not going to happen.  Or maybe fortunately, since
>>> variety and exploring different cultures is part of what
>>> makes life interesting.
>
> Agreed. Exposing oneself to new experiences is greatly
> beneficial to ones understanding of the world.
>
> However, you (and Chris, and Tim) seem to be ignoring the
> 500lb gorilla in the room, and are only concerned with
> chastising the people who are complaining about the
> offensive odors the animal's feces is emanating.
>
> Even if you are correct that the OP is using a regional
> variation of English, you fail to realize that this
> "regional redefinition" of the English word: "doubts" to
> mean what the *majority* of  English speaking world
> understands as "questions", cannot be justified OUTSIDE of
> his region.
>
> It's not like he's using a NEW word; a word that has never
> been defined, NO, his region has redefined a widely
> understood word. Imagine if he used a NEW word:
>
>      My curflabals are:
>        1. blah
>        2. blah
>
>      My boygenjoygens are:
>        1. blah
>        2. blah
>
> In the previous examples we show that introducing a NEW word
> is fine, because, at least when we encounter a NEW word we
> will *instantly* know that we need to find a definition for
> the NEW word BEFORE we can *fully* comprehend what the
> author is trying to tell us.
>
> So when we see the word "questions" followed by an
> enumerated listing, we know that that the author seeks
> *specific* answers to *specific* questions and is requesting
> those answers from a mostly unemotional point of view
> (inquisitiveness).
>
> HOWEVER,
>
> When we see the word "doubts", followed by an enumerated
> listing, we falsely believe the lad is confused or has some
> level of concern. In other words, he is asking for answers
> but his request is the result of an internal emotional
> distress, therefor, not only will he need his questions
> answered directly, he also requires a deeper understanding
> of the problem (and maybe even coddling) BEFORE he can
> equalize his emotional state to acceptable levels.
>
>      HELPING SOMEONE EXCOMMUNICATE THEMSELVES OF DEMONIC
>      EMOTIONAL DISTRESS IS A NOBLE PURSUIT, HOWEVER,
>      SANCTIONING THE ILLOGICAL DISCOMBOBULATION OF
>      DEFINED WORDS FROM THEIR UBIQUITOUS DEFINITIONS CAN
>      BE NOTHING LESS THAN ILLOGICAL SUICIDE BY EMOTION.
>
> Now... *hopefully* we can understand why the words "question"
> and "doubt" should NEVER be used interchangeably.

> [...]

Rick, through all the verbiage, I've lost track of what you are
advocating.  The OP asks a question and uses the word doubt in a way
that is unusual to you and many other, though not unusual where he is
from.  What is it you want us to do?

Why not just relax and answer his question and leave it at that?  You
learned something about another part of the world, and the OP gets an
answer to his question.  If you like, you can also point out to him that
the more usual word "question" might be more widely understood.
Win/win/win.

And will you be here to explain to time-travelling Shakespeare why we
are all of us speaking English completely wrong (to his ears)?

--Ned.