Total Python Newbie needs geting started info.

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Wed Nov 20 11:36:12 EST 2013

On 11/20/2013 11:03 AM, Ev J wrote:
> I am learning Python and wish to develop GUI applications to run on Windows.
> I have installed the Visual Studio integrated shell (Ver. 12.0.21005.1 REL) IDE and the Python 3.3 interpreter. I have gone through some of the 3.3 tutorial available at http://docs.python.org/3.3/tutorial/.
>
> The tutorial is all about using the interactive interrupter and writing little console programs to learn the language.
>
> Before I go too far down this road, I need to know if I can/should use this environment to develop GUI applications.  Is there graphical support for this - for example I can I just insert/move/set properties of buttons, combo boxes, etc. using an interface like the one in VBA?
>
> If not, what is the best free IDE for me to use?
> What is the best tutorial for the IDE?
>
> I am a bit overwhelmed as to how to get started.
>
> Thanks for any help.

The integrated shell for Visual Studio does not give you the drag and drop GUI builder like is available for VB or C#.

I would say for a newbie you at Eric IDE:
      http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/

It uses the QT widget set and intergrated with QTBuilder to allow you to design GUI via dragging and dropping components.

There are other GUI builders like GLADE for gtk, but QtBuilder is probably the closes to what you would be familiar with from using Visual Studio.

--
Rod

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand.
   -Thucydides
       History of The Peloponnesian War, 432BC