Total Python Newbie needs geting started info.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 11:14:44 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Ev J <shorepointln at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before I go too far down this road, I need to know if I can/should use this environment to develop GUI applications.  Is there graphical support for this - for example I can I just insert/move/set properties of buttons, combo boxes, etc. using an interface like the one in VBA?

Yes, you most certainly can. In the Microsoft world, you get a
language and its one GUI toolkit as a package deal; but in most of the
rest of the world, they're quite separate. Python can be used with
GTK, wx, TK, and a variety of other GUI toolkits; I happen to quite
like GTK, which I also use with Pike, a quite different language, and
can also be used with C and various other languages. So you can get to
know Python, and then later on choose one of several GUI toolkits, and
figure out how you want to lay out your window from there. The
tutorial sticks with the console because it's simple and easy to work
with; adding a GUI adds extra complexity, which can be left for later.

I don't know how much of "an interface like VBA" you'll get, but there
are graphical window builders. Personally, I don't use them; but if
you want them, they do exist.

ChrisA