My first real request for help

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 19 09:02:07 EST 2013

On Tuesday 19 November 2013 08:51:09 Albert Dengg did opine:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 04:31:15AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > But when I switch in, as one of the plugins a new .py version of
> > camview- emc, I get this when I attempt to run linuxcnc -l, where the
> > -l is "use the same config as last time" option.
> >
> > Starting LinuxCNC...
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/bin/axis", line 3326, in <module>
> >
> >     _dynamic_tabs(inifile)
> >
> >   File "/usr/bin/axis", line 3182, in _dynamic_tabs
> >
> >     child = Popen(cmd)
> >
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 633, in __init__
> >
> >     errread, errwrite)
> >
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1139, in
> >   _execute_child
> >
> >     raise child_exception
> >
> > OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> >
> > No clue, even when straced, as to what file might be missing.
> >
> > So, how do I find out?
>
> have you tried strace -e open -ff -ofile.log ?
> (it is easy to miss something in the strace output & and with -ff you
> also get subprocesses (in their own files, file.log.pid1,
> file.log.pid2,...)

The man page for strace, doesn't point that out, at least clear enough to
get my attention.

Thank you very much. I will do that, done.  Got another error on the
terminal, something about the module helper not being setuid root.

module_helper is not setuid root
Realtime system did not load

This is associated with the expanded control strace now has, it is not
present otherwise.

And about 150 file.log.pid's. :) That should take a while to read.

> this however, does not really look like a python problem, as from the
> look of it it misses some external executable it tries to Popen()

Hopefully I will find a clue.  Thanks again.

> so, you should probably on some linuxcnc/camview-emc related mailling
> list/forum.
>
> regards,
> albert
>
> ps: a more descriptive subject line would be helpfull for people to
> recognize what your post is about and then can quickly decide if they
> want to look at it or not.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

How should I know if it works?  That's what beta testers are for.  I
only coded it.
		-- Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting
         law-abiding citizens.