Setting longer default decimal precision

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Nov 20 15:04:30 EST 2013

On 20/11/2013 19:59, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 20/11/2013 19:34, Kay Y. Jheallee wrote:
>>
>> Ah, that looks like just the puppy I'm looking for. :)
>> Okay then, I just installed the PortableApps version of Python,
>> but when I downloaded "mpmath-0.17.win32" the installer aborted with "No
>> Python installation found in the registry".
>> So I'm trying to install "setuptools 1.4" (and do it that way) at
>>
>>     https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools/1.4
>>
>> but where is the "Download" link ("Downloads" just shifts down to the
>> page section)?  I'm just looking for the ".zip" file version (if one
>> exists), not ".tar.gz".
>> Thx!
>>

> Advice from a long time Python Windows user that's aimed at everybody,
> not just the OP.  Always try and find a binary installer, it's far
> easier than messing about with ".zip" or ".tar.gz" files.  In particular
> it avoids the infamous "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat", which in
> plain English means you've not got Visual C++ installed or you've got
> the wrong version.
>
> A very good site to find binaries is this
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/.  You can safely ignore the
> "Unofficial" at the top of the page, I've been using stuff from there
> for years and never, ever had a problem.

While Mark's advice here is fairly sound, the OP pointed out that they
are using PortableApps Python (which I've never tried myself). The key
point is that the binary installers expect to find a Python entry in the
registry to show them where to go.

For now I'm lazily going to point to the effbot's 10-year-old page on
the subject:

   http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm

with the proviso that, if that doesn't work, the OP should come back and
we'll try to help some more.

If it's any consolation, this business (bootstrapping installation on
Windows) is improving, piece by piece. It's just not all there yet.

TJG