python 3.3 repr

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Nov 15 11:36:37 EST 2013

On Friday 15 November 2013 11:28:19 Joel Goldstick did opine:

> >> Really? you cried and laughed over 7 vs. 8 bits?  That's lovely (?).
> >> ;).  That eighth bit sure was less confusing than codepoint
> >> translations
> >
> > no we had 6 bits in 60 bit words as I recall; extracting the nth
> > character involved division by 6; smart people did tricks with
> > inverted multiplications etc etc  :(
> > --
>
> Cool, someone here is older than me!  I came in with the 8080, and I
> remember split octal, but sixes are something I missed out on.

Ok, if you are feeling old & decrepit, hows this for a birthday: 10/04/34,
I came into micro computers about RCA 1802 time.  Wrote a program for the
1802 without an assembler, for tape editing in '78 at KRCR-TV in Redding
CA, that was still in use in '94, but never really wrote assembly code
until the 6809 was out in the Radio Shack Color Computers.  os9 on the
coco's was the best teacher about the unix way of doing things there ever
was.  So I tell folks these days that I am 39, with 40 years experience at
being 39. ;-)

> > Robin Becker

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Counting in binary is just like counting in decimal -- if you are all
thumbs.
		-- Glaser and Way
         law-abiding citizens.