python 3.3 repr

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Fri Nov 15 11:30:32 EST 2013

On Nov 15, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> On 15/11/2013 15:07, Joel Goldstick wrote:
>

>> Cool, someone here is older than me!  I came in with the 8080, and I
>> remember split octal, but sixes are something I missed out on.
>
> The pdp 10/15 had 18 bit words and could be organized as 3*6 or 2*9, pdp 8s had 12 bits I think, then came the IBM 7094 which had 36 bits and finally the CDC6000 & 7600 machines with 60 bits, some one must have liked 6's
> -mumbling-ly yrs-
> Robin Becker
> --

Yes, the PDP-8s, LINC-8s, and PDP-12s were all 12-bit computers.  However the LINC-8 operated with word-pairs (instruction in one location followed by address to be operated on in the next) so it was effectively a 24-bit computer and the PDP-12 was able to execute BOTH PDP-8 and LINC-8 instructions (it added one extra instruction to each set that flipped the mode).

First assembly language program I ever wrote was on a PDP-12.  (If there is an emoticon for a face with a gray beard, I don't know it.)

-Bill