Oh look, another language (ceylon)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 19:42:47 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
>> As a rule of thumb people don't like change?  This obviously assumes that
>> language designers are people :)
>

> That's probably true (on both counts).
>
> I guess this means we need to encourage more
> Pythoneers to become language designers!

Easy! Just make Python really bad in every way except syntax. Then
people will be constantly thinking "If only Python were more X and
less Y... great syntax but the language sucks in so many ways!" and
they'll borrow the syntax into their new languages.

If you're setting out to create a new language, you probably want it
to be "Foo, except X" for some Foo and X. So you'll keep everything
about Foo that doesn't conflict with your changes. I would expect to
see Python-like syntax in a language that's designed to be "Python,
except compilable to C for performance"... and whaddayaknow, Cython
fits that description. Thing is, Python is just so much better than
(C, C#, JavaScript, Java) that there's hardly as much impetus to
create a new language.

ChrisA