To whoever hacked into my Database

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Nov 12 11:27:08 EST 2013

Op 12-11-13 14:02, Ian Kelly schreef:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Antoon Pardon
> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> So you are complaining about people being human. Yes that is
>> how people tend to react when they continualy are frustrated
>> by someone who refuses to show the slightest cooperation.
>> So no rejecting such responses, particullarly by the person
>> who caused them is not right. It is defelecting the blame from
>> the primal cause.
>
> As you say you're a human, not a sheep, so stop pointing at the
> behavior of others to justify your own.

No, because often enough what is justifiable and what is not
depends on the context and what happened before. Morals are
generally not absolute so that a particular action would be
either right or wrong no matter what the circumstances.

> "But he started it" wasn't an
> excuse in kindergarten, and it still isn't one now.

Then that kindergarten teacher was lousy at her job and would
probably let the bullies maninupulate her in punishing their
victems. That is what you get if you unconditionally tell
people that "he started it" can't be an excuse.

> Somebody has to
> accept the responsibility to walk away and break the positive feedback
> loop, or it will never end.  And I can't see Nikos being the one to do
> that.

Not my problem. Why do you come to me? I didn't contribute to this
thread for about two days. That is two days of various contributors
that didn't accept their responsibility and whom you left alone.
If it wasn't a problem then that the positive feedback loop was
maintained, then why is it a problem now? I'll start taking you
seriously when I see you tackling the specific behaviour in a
consistent manner instead of you tackling specific contributors.

If you leave a thread alone for four days while various contributors
maintain a positive feedback loop then you are implicitly saying
that such behaviour is not a big problem. So don't come complaining
now.

>> That is correct but is expecting too much from people in general.
>> Expecting from frustrated people to act rational and constructive
>> is just a recipe for your own frustrations.
>
> In my experience, conduct follows from self esteem and self worth, and
> those things follow in turn from the respect and expectations of
> others.  If I expect others to act like animals, then I disrespect
> them, and so why should they behave any differently toward me or in my
> presence?

You are confusing realistic expectations with moralistic expeactations.
In some circumstances it is realistic to expect people to behave like
animals. You may see that as a sign of disrespect but that is because
you assigned it a moral judgement.

> By expecting others to be rational and mature I show my
> respect for them, and so perhaps they will see fit to behave in a way
> to maintain that respect.

No you are not showing respect that way. You are more likely unable
to empathise with the frustrations those people experience and are feeling
smug because you can handle it in such a "rational and mature" way.

--
Antoon Pardon