To whoever hacked into my Database

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Nov 12 04:09:18 EST 2013

Op 12-11-13 07:31, rurpy at yahoo.com schreef:
> On 11/11/2013 06:16 PM, Ned Batchelder wrote:

>>> Actually yes; most of the advice has not been genuine.
>>
>> rurpy, I applaud your efforts to make this forum more civil.  I do
>> not like the general tone of the responses to Nikos these days.  But
>> you are being naive to present this as "the big bad meanies against
>> the innocent OP."
>
> I never claimed Nikos was "innocent".  I was complaining
> about responses, driven by frustration or hostility, that
> go beyond reasonable and become so dogmatic and absolutist
> that they themselves become wrong.  Nikos (or anyone else)
> is right to reject such responses.

So you are complaining about people being human. Yes that is
how people tend to react when they continualy are frustrated
by someone who refuses to show the slightest cooperation.
So no rejecting such responses, particullarly by the person
who caused them is not right. It is defelecting the blame from
the primal cause.

>> Nikos has received a good deal of genuine advice.  He has also been
>> genuinely difficult to help.
>
> Yes.  If he is too difficult to help without getting
> angry because he won't do what you (generic) tell him
> then perhaps a more constructive response is to stop
> trying to help him rather than join the lynch mob that
> is making the atmosphere here far worse (IMO) than
> Nikos alone could.  However, I have made that argument
> in the past and am not interested in rearguing it.

That is correct but is expecting too much from people in general.
Expecting from frustrated people to act rational and constructive
is just a recipe for your own frustrations. And your own reaction
illustrates the problem beautifully because you come with an
irrational non-constructive proposal, that is very unlikely to
motivate people in actually want to cooperate with you in getting
this community to be more positive again.

--
Antoon Pardon.