Possibly better loop construct, also labels+goto important and on the fly compiler idea.

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Mon Nov 4 04:38:17 EST 2013

Op 04-11-13 10:07, Ben Finney schreef:
> Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> writes:
>
>> This is a typical: "Heads, I win, Tail, you lose" situation that is
>> being set up.
>
> If you see a discussion as a zero-sum game – like a coin toss, where one
> person's win can only be at the expense of someone else's loss – then I
> fear this isn't going to be productive.

I don't see it that way. My point is that Steve seems to work hard
creating the impression that he does see it that way. My impression
is that Steve is not that much interrested in a welcoming group as
he is interrested in a group where he himself feels at ease. Where
the two coincide, he argues for a welcoming group. Where the two
may be in conflict, he is more interested in defending his behaviour
or brushing it of than he is in contributing to a welcoming group.

> Suffice it to say that any number of parties can be behaving badly in a
> discussion. If one person declares their choice not to continue an
> unhelpful discussion, that does does not mean that they declare victory,
> nor that they declare defeat. Discussions that are about “winning” or
> “losing” the discussion are pretty futile in this forum anyway.

Unhelpful for whom? My thought is that a welcoming group is able to
resolve or a least discuss conflicts. If you declare the discussion
not helpful and see that as a reason not to continue with it, you
are IMO not contributing to such a group. With the numerous times
Steve told the rest about how he wants a welcoming group, he doesn't
seem that much interrested in actually doing an effort himself.

--
Antoon Pardon