Too many python installations. Should i remove them all and install the latest?

Fábio Santos fabiosantosart at gmail.com
Fri May 31 11:37:06 EDT 2013

On 31 May 2013 16:28, "Νικόλαος Κούρας" <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'am using CentOS v6.4 on my VPS and hence 'yum' install manager and i
just tried:

> Code:
> root at nikos [~]# which python
> /usr/bin/python
> root at nikos [~]# which python3
> /root/.local/lib/python2.7/bin/python3
> root at nikos [~]# which python3.3
> /root/.local/lib/python2.7/bin/python3.3
> root at nikos [~]#
>
> Why so many pythons in my system.
> Now in the case of my Python3 installation, it looks like i have two
parallel installations of Python3, but i don't. One is almost certainly a
symlink to the other and not an actual installation.

> I'm thinking of:
>
> yum remove python
> yum remove python3
> yum remove python3.3
>
> and
>
> yum install python3.3.2 from scratch.
>
> I'm sceptic about uninstalling python 2.x though. Seems to me as a bad
idea because most of the core system utilities are written in Python 2.6+.
Yum, for example, is a collection of Python 2.6 programs. If i actually do
"yum remove python" i will see most of my core system get listed in the
uninstall dependency list -- which is a Bad Thing.

> But then again i dont like the idea of having too many Python into my
system.
> What is you opinion?
> --

Check if python3 and python3.3 aren't the same. Run them and look at the
"intro" lines.