Too many python installations. Should i remove them all and install the latest?

Νικόλαος Κούρας nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Fri May 31 11:20:54 EDT 2013

I'am using CentOS v6.4 on my VPS and hence 'yum' install manager and i just tried:

Code:
root at nikos [~]# which python
/usr/bin/python
root at nikos [~]# which python3
/root/.local/lib/python2.7/bin/python3
root at nikos [~]# which python3.3
/root/.local/lib/python2.7/bin/python3.3
root at nikos [~]#

Why so many pythons in my system.
Now in the case of my Python3 installation, it looks like i have two parallel installations of Python3, but i don't. One is almost certainly a symlink to the other and not an actual installation.

I'm thinking of:

yum remove python
yum remove python3
yum remove python3.3

and

yum install python3.3.2 from scratch.

I'm sceptic about uninstalling python 2.x though. Seems to me as a bad idea because most of the core system utilities are written in Python 2.6+. Yum, for example, is a collection of Python 2.6 programs. If i actually do "yum remove python" i will see most of my core system get listed in the uninstall dependency list -- which is a Bad Thing.

But then again i dont like the idea of having too many Python into my system.
What is you opinion?