PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 23:38:01 EDT 2013

On 2013.05.21 21:59, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2013 14:53:54 -0500, Andrew Berg wrote:
>
>> On 2013.05.21 14:26, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
>>> Please stop perpetuating this myth, see
>>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-February/116789.html
>>> and http://bugs.python.org/issue14123
>>>
>> What myth?
>
> The myth that % string formatting is deprecated. It is not deprecated.
Skip didn't say that it was deprecated.

>> but no one said % formatting was going away soon.
>
> True, but only for the definition "no one = all the people who insist
> that % is deprecated, or soon to be deprecated".
Perhaps I missed something, but who is insisting this?

> What happens in Python 4000 is irrelevant. If somebody is trying to
> "future proof" their code for a version that *may never exist*, and if it
> does exist is likely to be six or eight years away from even starting the
> design phase, they are wasting their time. It is hard enough to track a
> moving target, it is impossible to track a target that isn't even a gleam
> in GvR's eye yet.
I think you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting that format() be used simply because % formatting could be deprecated at some unknown time
years from now; I was clarifying the status of % formatting.
--
CPython 3.3.2 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1