What was the project that made you feel skilled in Python?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun May 19 07:48:58 EDT 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I'm trying to come up with more project ideas for intermediate
> learners, somewhat along the lines of
> http://bit.ly/intermediate-python-projects .
>
> So here's a question for people who remember coming up from beginner: as you
> moved from exercises like those in Learn Python the Hard Way, up to your own
> self-guided work on small projects, what project were you working on that
> made you feel independent and skilled?  What program first felt like your
> own work rather than an exercise the teacher had assigned?
>
> I don't want anything too large, but big enough that there's room for
> design, and multiple approaches, etc.

Easy answer from me: The Yosemite project. And the code still looks
like a n00b wrote it. (On that subject: Pull requests welcome.)

The code is here: https://github.com/Rosuav/Yosemite

I wrote it in Python because I wanted to be able to run it on either
the Windows box that drives our TV system, or the Linux box that
actually stores the content. And it's still doing that, quite nicely.

Yosemite is a pretty simple system. It's broadly similar to a classic
file-serving web server, but instead of making files available for
download, it invokes them locally. There are plenty of other ways to
achieve this, and I'm by no means sure I picked the best, but that's
where it's at, and it was my first real Python project that's been
published.

ChrisA