What was the project that made you feel skilled in Python?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun May 19 07:30:49 EDT 2013

Hi all, I'm trying to come up with more project ideas for intermediate
learners, somewhat along the lines of
http://bit.ly/intermediate-python-projects .

So here's a question for people who remember coming up from beginner: as
you moved from exercises like those in Learn Python the Hard Way, up to
your own self-guided work on small projects, what project were you
working on that made you feel independent and skilled?  What program
first felt like your own work rather than an exercise the teacher had
assigned?

I don't want anything too large, but big enough that there's room for
design, and multiple approaches, etc.

Thanks in advance!

--Ned.