spilt question

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu May 16 11:20:25 EDT 2013

On 05/16/2013 11:00 AM, loial wrote:
> I want to split a string so that I always return everything BEFORE the LAST underscore
>
> HELLO_xxxxxxxx.lst         # should return HELLO
> HELLO_GOODBYE_xxxxxxxx.ls  # should return HELLO_GOODBYE
>
> I have tried with rsplit but cannot get it to work.
>
> Any help appreciated

The rsplit() method was a good idea; it will work.  So exactly what did
you try and what about it did not work.  How are you stuck going from
your partial answer to a complete one?

While you're at it, you need to consider at least two more cases

HELLO.txt                    #should return ""
HELLO_and_____goodbye        #should return "HELLO_and____"

--
DaveA