Fwd: Fwd: Python for philosophers

Fábio Santos fabiosantosart at gmail.com
Wed May 15 20:12:57 EDT 2013

On 15 May 2013 20:59, "Citizen Kant" <citizenkant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course one always may want to perform random hacking and turn tables
just because and treat the word python as a variable's name, setting that
python equals Monty Python in order to checkmate any given conversation. In
that case we'll have to cope then with the long lasting problem of being
forced to name every python snake as a Monty Python snake, due to the
caprice of a programmer .

In Python all variables are actually labels. Labels refer to an object. An
object can be referred to by any amount of labels, but when no labels and
other references remain "pointed at" it, garbage collection destroys the
object. So if we set python equals Monty Python the actual python snake
will actually cease to exist.