Unicode humor

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 11 08:40:58 EDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 17:25, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Isn't that a crime in the UK?
>>>
>>> ChrisA
>>
>> The problem with English humour (as against standard humor) is that
>> its not unicode compliant
>
> Unicode humour was carefully laid out to incorporate English humour.
> In fact, if you use the standard variable-length-joke encoding, it's
> possible for a Unicode joke to be decoded as if it were an English
> joke, without any actual knowledge of Unicode. Unfortunately, this can
> result in non-compliant English humour publishers producing jokes that
> come out as gibberish in the rest of the world. Fortunately, we then
> get to laugh at them.
>
> ChrisA

This simply shows bias to the English speaking world, as does Python
unicode, at least in 3.3+.  I wouldn't mind betting that other languages
can't cope, e.g. can 3.3+ manage the top secret joke that's so deadly
even the Germans die laughing?

--
If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

Mark Lawrence