Unicode humor

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 10 12:25:46 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 10, 8:32 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > And this reflects a lack of a sense of humor.  :)
>>
>> Isn't that a crime in the UK?
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> The problem with English humour (as against standard humor) is that
> its not unicode compliant

Unicode humour was carefully laid out to incorporate English humour.
In fact, if you use the standard variable-length-joke encoding, it's
possible for a Unicode joke to be decoded as if it were an English
joke, without any actual knowledge of Unicode. Unfortunately, this can
result in non-compliant English humour publishers producing jokes that
come out as gibberish in the rest of the world. Fortunately, we then
get to laugh at them.

ChrisA