Why do Perl programmers make more money than Python programmers

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 6 03:30:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Fábio Santos <fabiosantosart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And of course, the Python Programmer's moral code is only 80 characters
>> wide.
>
> No! Was it not seventy characters wide? Was I fooled my entire life?

Well you see, it was 70 bytes back in the Python 2 days (I'll defer to
Steven for data points earlier than that), but with Python 3, there
were two versions: one was 140 bytes representing 70 characters, the
other 280 bytes representing 70 characters. In Python 3.3, they were
merged, and a trivial amount of overhead added, so now it's 80 bytes
representing 70 characters. But you have an absolute guarantee that
it's correct now.

Of course, the entire code can be represented as a single int now. You
used to have to use a long.

ChrisA