flaming vs accuracy [was Re: Performance of int/long in Python 3]

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Mar 28 16:23:37 EDT 2013

In article
<CAPTjJmoZDHsmUQx7vcpuii2BwRcNzCx76Pm-6unB1DUq4dODGg at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd rather this list have some vinegar than it devolve into
> uselessness. Or, worse, if there's a hard-and-fast rule about
> courtesy, devolve into aspartame... everyone's courteous in words but
> hates each other underneath. Or am I taking the analogy too far? :)

I think you are positing false choices.  No one - at least I'm not - is
advocating to avoid challenging false or misleading statements in the
interests of maintaining some false "see how well we all get along"
facade.  The point is we can have meaningful, hard-nosed discussions
without resorting to personal insults, i.e. flaming.  I think the
discussion in this topic over the past 24 hours or so demonstrates that.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org