flaming vs accuracy [was Re: Performance of int/long in Python 3]

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Mar 29 11:51:30 EDT 2013

On 03/29/2013 07:52 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2013-03-28, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
>> I cannot speak for the borg mind, but for myself a troll is anyone
>> who continually posts rants (such as RR & XL) or who continuously
>> hijacks threads to talk about their pet peeve (such as jmf).
>
> Assuming jmf actually does care deeply and genuinely about Unicode
> implementations, and his postings reflect his actual position/opinion,
> then he's not a troll.  Traditionally, a troll is someone who posts
> statements purely to provoke a response -- they don't really care
> about the topic and often don't believe what they're posting.

Even if he does care deeply and genuinely he still hijacks threads, still refuses the challenges to try X or Y and
report back, and (ISTM) still refuses to learn.

If that's not trollish behavior, what is it?

FWIW I don't think he does care deeply and genuinely (at least not genuinely) or he would do more than whine about micro
benchmarks and make sweeping statements like "nobody here understands unicode" (paraphrased).

--
~Ethan~