import in Python3.3

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 26 19:11:48 EDT 2013

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:33:54 -0400, Jerry Hill wrote:

>> I find this kind of thing sad: it feels to me that programmers are
>> working around somewhat arbitrary and changing restrictions. Rather
>> than avoid names like "collections", why not try to address the
>> underlying problem? There isn't an ambiguity here in my view: the
>> fullname is mypackage.collections
>
> You've said a couple of times now that the original author has a package
> named "mypackage" with a module "collections" in it.  As far as I can
> tell, that's untrue.  The original post claims to have a package named
> "collections", which is colliding with the builtin module of the same
> name.

Ah, that would be my fault. I was the first one to mention "mypackage",
and I misread the OP's description.

Given that he has a *top-level* package "collections" which clashes with
the collections in the standard library, there's no simple way to bypass
his package and find the standard library collections module. When you
have two top-level modules/packages with the same name, whichever one
comes first in sys.path will shadow the second one.

--
Steven