import in Python3.3

rocky rocky at gnu.org
Tue Mar 26 14:41:57 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:33:54 PM UTC-4, Jerry Hill wrote:

> > I find this kind of thing sad: it feels to me that programmers are working around somewhat arbitrary and changing restrictions. Rather than avoid names like "collections", why not try to address the underlying problem? There isn't an ambiguity here in my view: the fullname is mypackage.collections
>

> You've said a couple of times now that the original author has a
>
> package named "mypackage" with a module "collections" in it.  As far
>
> as I can tell, that's untrue.  The original post claims to have a
>
> package named "collections", which is colliding with the builtin
>
> module of the same name.
>

> As far as I can tell, all of your suggestions about using your
>
> pyimport-relative tool aren't helpful unless the author re-names his
>
> package from "collections" to "mypackage" and then moves all of their
>
> code into a "collections" module inside "mypackage", right?

Right. Perhaps then I misunderstand. Having a package called "collections" when there is something out there already called "collections" clearly ill advised.

But in that case, using sys.path to get around this is still a bad idea: the clash should be fixed. Sure, only in the case that this really can't be addressed would I use sys.path.