Python GUI questions

maiden129 sengokubasarafever at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 21:25:56 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:57:42 PM UTC-4, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:01:24 PM UTC-5, maiden129 wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>

> > I'm using python 3.2.3 and I'm making a program that show
>
> > the of occurrences of the character in the string in
>
> > Tkinter.
>

> > My questions are:
>

> > How can I make an empty Entry object that will hold a word
>
> > that a user will enter?
>

> I believe you meant to say: "How can i CREATE an entry field to accommodate user input?"
>

> Easy.
>

> > How to make an empty Entry object that will hold a single
>
> > character that the user will enter?
>

> Not as easy, but still quite doable. Do you want to filter the input, allowing only a single character?
>

> > How to A Button object with a text equal to "Count"?
>

> Easy-pee-see. Follow this yellow brick road to enlightenment.
>

>   http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/tkinter-whats-tkinter.htm

Hello,

Here is my try to answer some of questions:

from tkinter import *

class word:
    def __init__(self,Entry,Character):
        window = Tk()
        window.title("Widget")

        top = Tk()
        L1 = Label(top, text="Enter a string")
        L1.pack( side = LEFT)
        E1 = Entry(top, bd =5)

        E1.pack(side = RIGHT)

        top.mainloop()

        L2 = Label(bottom, text="Number of single characters")
        L2.pack( side = LEFT)
        E2 = Entry(bottom, bd =5)

        button = Tkinter.Button(bottom, text ="Count", command =  countCharacter).pack()

        def countChacater(self):
            count = word.count(character)

I'm just struggling with only how to create an object that will hold a single character that the user will enter.