Python and Hidden Markov Model

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:29:39 EST 2013

On 8 March 2013 05:26,  <subhabangalore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 8, 2013 2:18:06 AM UTC+5:30, subhaba... at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I was trying to learn Hidden Markov Model. In Python there are various packages, but I was willing to do some basic calculation starting from the scratch so that I can learn the model very aptly. Do you know of any thing such?
>
> My problem is over model validation on continuous time Markov system.
> Generally, I understand the theory and can run the kits like HMM.py or Scikit-learn.
> The problem is if I can not fit the data in run time I would be at the mercy of the kit.
> So I wanted to know the coding of the computation.

If those projects can do what you want then why not just look at their code?

> I am specifically looking at the small python example of Forward, Backward and Viterbi
> calculation. I tried to surf the web but did not help much.

How about these two (both in Python):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viterbi_algorithm#Example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward%E2%80%93backward_algorithm#Python_example

> I do not know much of Scientific forum.
Try scipy-user as a start (someone there may know of a better mailing list):

> I thought as HMM.py, NLTK, Scikit-learn are Python implementations so there would be lot
> of people in the room who would know it.
> And I got people like you, so I can not say I am wrong!

Python as a programming language is used for many different things. I
doubt that many people on this list will know what a Hidden Markov
Model is. While I do know what they are, I have never done anything
with them in Python or otherwise. However, if you ask in the right
place, I'm sure that you will find people who have done similar things
in Python.

Oscar