Set x to to None and del x doesn't release memory in python 2.7.1 (HPUX 11.23, ia64)

Wong Wah Meng-R32813 r32813 at freescale.com
Fri Mar 8 04:08:15 EST 2013

The problem is my server hits memory usage threshold, and starts giving me errors like Oracle unable to spawn off new session stating Out of Memory error and what not. I won't be bothered much if I have the luxury of available memory for other processes to use. If only if the UNIX understand my concerns and release the allocation when I issue gc.collect() or the gc.collect() takes place. :)

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Wong Wah Meng-R32813 <r32813 at freescale.com> wrote:
> [] The example is written for illustration purpose. Thanks for
> pointing out a better way of achieving the same result. Yes it seems
> so that the OS thinks the piece allocated to Python should not be
> taken back unless the process dies. :(

Don't be too bothered by that. That memory will be reused by Python for subsequent allocations.