[Python-ideas] string.format() default variable assignment

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Mar 2 19:42:50 EST 2013

In article <513298fa$0$30001$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:53:47 -0500, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yes, but reply-all sends a copy to the poster as well as the list. What
> >> I want is reply-list, acknowledging the list headers... and Gmail
> >> simply doesn't have that.
> >
> > I've been replying to the poster and the list for ages. Is it bad
> > netiquette?
>
> I find it annoying, and yes I consider it rude.

I actually find it convenient and useful when people do that.  If
somebody's replying to a thread I'm active on, I consider the responses
to that thread to be higher priority than the rest of the firehose, so
it's good for me that they've copied me directly.

I also read this list via usenet.  During the workday, I don't have
convenient access to a newsreader, but I do get mail.  If I post a
question to the group from home in the morning, when people cc me
directly on replies, I get them quickly.  If they only post to the
group, I have to either wait until I get home to catch up on netnews, or
use one of several less convenient means of accessing the group from
work.